Index Pg. 1
1957 - Do You Remember Saying....
The following were some comments made in the year 1957:
(1) "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's
going to be impossible to buy a weeks groceries for $20.00."
(2) "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be
long when $5000 will only buy a used one."
(3) "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A
quarter a pack is ridiculous."
(4) "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just
to mail a letter?"
(5) "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire
outside help at the store."
(6) "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would
someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car
in the garage,"
(7) "Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail hair cuts make it
impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing
their hair as long as the girls,"
(8) "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since
they let Clark Gable get by with saying damn in "Gone With The Wind", it seems
every new movie has either Hell or damn in it."
(9) "I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put
a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows
they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas."
(10) "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for
$75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday that
they will be making more than the President."
(11) "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be
electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."
(12) "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few
married women are having to work to make ends meet."
(13) "It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire
someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
(14) "Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more, those Hollywood stars seem
to be getting divorces at the drop of a hat."
(15) "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a
whole lot of foreign business."
(16) "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes
half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best
people to Congress."
(17) "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I
seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
(18) "There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend.
It costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel."
(19) "No one can afford to be sick any more; $35.00 a day in the hospital
is too rich for my blood."
Rich Rowland comments "I remember paying 25 cents a gallon during
a gas station price war in the late 60's." Heck, Rich, in the mid-fifties I remember my dad getting gas regularly for
17.9 cents a gallon in Sarasota, and soon there was a price war that had it
hovering between 13.9 and 15.9 cents AND they gave you a free drinking glass
or a dish towel!!!!