Safe Storage & a Tupperware Birthday
When I was a kid, a "helpful" but grisly neighbor boy entertained us with a story, probably untrue, about a person who swallowed a shard of glass and what happened to their guts, to put it bluntly. Being a nervous kid anyway, this resulted in a glass phobia.
Like many households, my mother stored food in glass containers in the fridge. Whenever she took food out to serve, I would nervously check the edges and lids to be sure there were no chips.
My brother Nathan, when about 10 or 11 and on a growth spurt, often made sandwiches with great flair and enthusiasm, slathering on mayonnaise and tossing the knife dramatically back into the jar. On more than one occasion the knife nicked a little hole in the bottom of the jar and I had to throw the whole thing away. Since that meant we were out of mayonnaise for a few days, he soon mended his ways.
Where is this leading? First, it was a great relief to my obsession with glass shards when plastic storage containers came into common use.
Second, July marks the late Earl Tupper's 100th birthday. Tupper of course invented Tupperware, the most innovative and durable plastic containers on the market.
Third, some storage facts for refrigerated foods:
Do NOT make the error of re-using packaging from other products for food storage, even empty food storage containers. Plastics break down, and many experts feel that possibly harmful chemicals can be released into foods. Especially never, never put plastic items in the microwave oven unless it specifically states on the bottom that it is microwave safe. Reheating or cooking for short periods is safer than longer cooking time in your microwave, and easier on the container and the food, too.