|White Mountain Icing
A Recipe from Sneaky Kitchen
|1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white corn syrup
2 Tbsp. water
|1/4 cup egg
1 tsp. vanilla
other flavorings, colors & garnishes as desired
Beat egg whites until stiff. Mix sugar, syrup & water together in a saucepan. Boil over
medium high heat until syrup spins a 6" to 8" thread when a spoon is
it. Don't leave unattended; it will burn easily.
With beater running, pour syrup into
eggs in a very thin
stream. Don't rush; beat steadily to stiff, glossy peaks. Add vanilla
or other flavorings or colors. Frost cakes, cupcakes, use as filling for "jelly" rolls, or
use in place of meringue. Variations:
- For cherry frosting, add a little maraschino
cherry juice or red food coloring plus either 1 tsp. cherry or almond flavor.
Decorate with halved Bing cherries or maraschino cherries.
- Add 1/2 tsp.each vanilla & orange
flavor. Tint light orange & decorate with drained Mandarin orange slices
& a little orange zest.
- Easter: cut sheet cake into a rabbit shape; frost with white
icing with 1/2 tsp. of coconut flavor added, & fuzz
with shredded coconut for fur.
- Add 1/2 tsp. each vanilla & butter pecan
flavor or black
walnut flavor; decorate with finely chopped nuts.
- Add 1 tsp. peach flavor & decorate with well-drained peach slices.
- Leave a Tbsp.of syrup in the pan & continue to cook until
golden. Add to hot icing, beating constantly, for a caramel flavor. Sprinkle
with a little toasted coconut flakes.
- Tint pale pink & decorate with real roses & leaves.
- Add 1 tsp. mint flavor & tint light green. Decorate with shaved bittersweet chocolate.
- Add 1 tsp. lemon extract, tint light
yellow & dust with a little fine lemon zest.
- Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla & 3/4 tsp. chocolate
flavor. After icing cake, make a few swirls with chocolate syrup
with shaved bittersweet chocolate, chocolate sprinkles or stud with chocolate bits.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar & decorate with a red-hot cinnamon candies.
- Halloween: tint yellow, flavor with 1/2 tsp. pineapple flavor
& decorate with candy corn.
- Tint pale lavender & decorate with colored sprinkles. Add a
ring of animal crackers for a circus cake.
- Add 1 tsp. rum flavor
cake generously with chopped pecans & a light sprinkling of sieved brown sugar.