Index to more 10
...for Eating Fish
- Fish from cold waters are more likely to be disease- and pollution-free.
- Oily fishes are the best for Omega-3 factors, one of
the most valuable nutritional qualities that fish contain.
- For weight loss, go for tuna packed in water. Drain well. (The
love the juice added to their food.) For lower cholesterol rather than fat free, use tuna packed in oil.
very well; even rinse a little which will greatly reduce calories. The oil leeches off some of the cholesterol
contains. Oil-packed tuna also tastes better, for fussy eaters.
- Select small to medium fish. An incredible amount
of sewage, industrial waste and farming chemicals are being drained into the
oceans every day. Big fish eat little fish and little fish eat
smaller fish, ad infinitum... therefore very large fish can carry a build-up
- Beware of large warm-water reef fish that eat algae; they can at times
carry a dangerous toxin.
- Be careful of river, swamp or bay fish. Millions of toilets and washing machines
and enormous amounts of factory sewage and farming chemicals are dumped into our streams. The fish eat,
drink, breath and live in this filth and accumulate dangerous levels of germs, and toxins
including pesticides, lead, mercury and other dangerous chemicals. Be sure the fish
in your area are safe to eat.
- Farm-raised fish are an excellent choice. They
are mostly grain-fed, a renewable resource, and toxins are usually filtered
out of their waters. Farm raised salmon, however, are lacking in many
of the nutritional qualities found in wild red salmon.
- Soak strong tasting fish in milk to give it a better
flavor. You can even freeze it in milk for moistness and improved
- Learn to season and cook fish properly. If the
family doesn't dig in with gusto, sharpen your techniques. You owe it
to yourself and to them to make the most of this healthy, economical and
- Never, ever give small children fish with bones.
Encourage older kids (and adults) to ignore table manners and use fingers as
well as forks in order to eat fish safely and easily.